If you have not already done so, apply for your passport or verify that your current passport is valid. Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months into the future at the time you are applying for your student visa, and on the date that you enter the United States.
F-1 and J-1 students are required to pay the SEVIS fee before the visa appointment. You can pay the fee on-line: http://www.fmjfee.com.You must have your Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 in order to pay the fee.
After receiving your Form I-20 or Form DS-2019, you must schedule an appointment at the US Consulate nearest you to apply for your student visa as soon as possible . Note, citizens of Canada are exempt from the visa requirement. The following websites provide useful information on the visa process:
- US Department of Homeland Security Study in the States Website
- Student and Exchange Visitor Program Student Process Steps Website
- US Department of State – Student Visas (F & M)
- US Department of State – College and University Student (J)
- US Department of State – Listing of Embassies, Consulates & Diplomatic Missions
- US Department of State – Visa Wait Times
- Education USA- Applying for your Student Visa
- 10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Nonimmigrant Visa