• Find Housing
  • Health Insurance
  • Driving in the United States
  • Like OIS on Facebook
  • Find Housing

    Undergraduate students

    On-campus housing information is provided to new undergraduate international students via email after you have accepted the offer of admission. If you plan to live on campus, follow the instructions provided and register as early as possible to secure your spot.  These housing contracts fill very quickly and if you wait until July to make the decision to live on campus, you will probably not be able to secure a spot.  If you have any questions about housing please visit Housing Services.  If you plan to arrive in Pittsburgh earlier, see Hotel and Temporary Housing Options.

    Graduate students

    Off-Campus Living at the University of Pittsburgh provides detailed information on everything you need to know about finding and renting an apartment in Pittsburgh. This office is willing to assist new students with questions about Pittsburgh. You can visit the office at 127 North Bellefield Ave. or you can email the office at : ocl@bc.pitt.edu

    We also suggest: Pitt News On-line Housing Guide.

    The Penn Commons is a residence hall type living environment with furnished shared apartments.  Penn Commons offers short-term housing options. Please visit: www.penncommons.com/index.html

    Purchase Health Insurance

    Health insurance coverage meeting minimum standards is required by the University of Pittsburgh for all full-time international students. It is essential that international students, and their dependents, have health insurance in order to have access to proper health care should you need it while in the United States. J1 students are further required by federal regulations to maintain health insurance for themselves and their J2 dependents at all times while in the United States.

    For information on the health insurance options available to students through the University of Pittsburgh, please visit Pitt Benefits page for details on UPMC student plans.

    Driving in the United States: Things I should know before I arrive

    If you will be in the U.S. for more than one year and plan to drive while here, you should apply for a Pennsylvania driver’s license.

    If you will be in the US for less than one year (i.e., the expiration date on your Form I-20, Form DS-2019, is less than one year away), you are not eligible for a driver’s license. However, you may drive with a valid home country license and international driving permit.

    An International Driving Permit (IDP) translates information contained on your driver’s license into 10 languages so that officials in foreign countries are able to interpret your license.

    An IDP supplements a valid government-issued license–it does not serve as a replacement for a license. If you are stopped by law enforcement, you will most likely be asked to produce both your IDP and your official driver’s license. You cannot apply for an International Driving Permit in the United States, so you will need to obtain this document before traveling to the U.S.!

    Pennsylvania honors a valid foreign driver’s license with an international driving permit for a period of up to one year. If the foreign license and/or international permit expires before one year, the individual must apply for a Pennsylvania learner’s permit to continue to drive in this state.

    Like OIS On Facebook

    Like the Office of International Services on Facebook to get updates and make connections to Pitt as you prepare to join us on campus. Be sure to look for other Pitt offices, groups, and programs as well.