F-1 students are eligible to work on-campus while attending classes. The work does not need to be related to your field of study. You must maintain legal F-1 status while engaging in on-campus employment.

Although there are some limited exceptions, on-campus typically means work performed on the school’s premises (university libraries, laboratories, stores and restaurants in a university owned building) and paid by the University of Pittsburgh.  Please consult with OIS prior to engaging in any employment that does not meet these basic guidelines.

Eligibility Criteria

  • You must be maintaining valid F-1 status and enrolled in a full course of study during the academic year.
  • You may work up to 20-hours per week on-campus during the academic year.
  • You may work full-time on-campus during vacation periods and official school breaks (winter break, summer break). Those students starting their degree program or finishing their degree program in the summer term are only eligible for part-time employment on-campus during the first or last term.
  • Once you have completed all requirements for your academic program, you are no longer eligible for on-campus employment.

Finding and Applying for On-Campus Jobs

Visit Career Development and Placement Assistance for more information on finding an on-campus job. Search for an on-campus job at PittSource. You may also inquire directly with the office or department where you are interested in working to find out if they have any positions available.

Please Note: F-1 students are not eligible for “Work Study.” If an on-campus position is advertised as “Work Study only,” only students who have been awarded federal Work Study funds may apply. This type of financial aid is typically only available to US citizens or lawful permanent residents.

Return to F-1 Employment Authorization page.