Employment is any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room or for any other benefit or compensation. J-1 students are required to have authorization from the J-1 program sponsor in order to work in the U.S. If employed without proper authorization, the student will have violated his/her J-1 status which may result in losing benefits of J-1 program and jeopardize his/her permission to remain in or reenter the U.S.

Obtaining Employment Authorization

The University of Pittsburgh Office of International Services (OIS) is designated by the U.S. Department of State as the J-1 program sponsor for the University of Pittsburgh.  OIS is obligated to evaluate the proposed employment in the context of your academic program and your personal circumstances. If your DS-2019 specifies the program sponsor (item #2) as “University of Pittsburgh” and the exchange visitor category (item #4) as “student”, you may apply for employment authorization at OIS.  If your J-1 program is sponsored by another organization (e.g. Institute for International Education), you must contact them to discuss your eligibility to work.  You may not begin employment unless you have obtained employment authorization from your program sponsor and the begin date is effective.

Types of Employment

As a J-1 student, you may qualify for the following types of employment:

Related Topics