All non-U.S. citizens who are present in the United States for more than 29 days are required to notify the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) of any change in their U.S. address within 10 days of the change. This includes lawful permanent residents of the U.S.
If you are in F1 or J1 status, you must report address information to your school or J program sponsor which will be reported to DHS on your behalf. In addition to a current U.S. address, F-1 students are also required to maintain home country address information. Those who are not in F or J status must report address information to DHS directly.
See below for guidance on how to report address changes to fulfill DHS reporting requirements. If you are on University payroll, you should also notify your department administrator to be sure that your payroll records are updated as well. Academic and OIS records are maintained separately from payroll records.
Updating Your Address
- Currently enrolled F-1 Students and J-1 Students (Pitt DS-2019) Update your address information by logging in to My.Pitt.Edu. Once you are logged in, you will see “Student Center Login” on the right. Click on the link which will open PeopleSoft. Then, click on Self Service -> Campus Personal Information -> Addresses.
- SEVU (SEVIS US Address): Must be your current US residential address
- SEVF (SEVIS Foreign Address): Must be an address outside the US
- You should also update any other address types accordingly. SEVIS address types are only used to fulfill DHS reporting requirements.
- F-1 or J-1 Students who have graduated from the University of Pittsburgh and are on post-completion OPT or Academic Training. Log into My OIS via the “Limited Services” section. You will need to request a pin in order to log in. If you are having trouble, you can email email@example.com.
- J-1 Scholar or Intern – Pitt DS-2019 Your DS-2019 was issued by the University of Pittsburgh. Please complete the online Change of Address form found in My OIS under the Biographical Information in the menu. NOTE: this form may only be used by Pitt-sponsored J1 scholars.
- J-1 Student, Scholar, or Intern (non-Pitt DS-2019) Your DS-2019 was NOT issued by the University of Pittsburgh, but by another sponsoring agency, for example, IIE. You should follow the address updating guidelines of the organization that issued your DS-2019. You should also be sure to maintain current address information in your University of Pittsburgh student and/or employee record, if applicable.
- All other statuses including lawful permanent residency: You may update your US address information on the US Citizenship & Immigration Services web site. You should also be sure to maintain current address information in your University of Pittsburgh student and/or employee record, if applicable.