OIS should always be your first point of contact for immigration-related issues if you are in a Pitt-sponsored visa status, but in some situations, you may need to seek assistance from an attorney or other community resources. The following resources provide additional information about your legal rights and responsibilities in the United States, beyond the specific requirements of your immigration status. They can also help you to identify situations in which you may need to seek the advice of an attorney and ways to find that assistance.


  • ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union): Know Your Rights – What to do if You’re Stopped by Police, Immigration Agents, or FBI
  • ACLU: Additional “Know Your Rights” publications and resources
  • NILC (National Immigration Law Center): Immigration Enforcement Resources
  • Jewish Family & Children’s Service of Pittsburgh –  JF&CS is officially recognized by the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) and Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR). Their immigration attorneys and accredited representatives are able to provide assistance free or at nominal fees, based on your income.
  • Pitt Law Immigration Law Clinic – Clinic personnel specialize in serving immigrants in removal proceedings and asylum cases, as well as survivors of domestic violence. Potential clients should call the clinic at 412.648.1300 to request an appointment.