All international students and scholars living in the United States are required to comply with federal, state and local laws with respect to filing taxes. OIS is here to provide you with resources that are designed to guide you through this process. Please remember that your Immigration Specialist is not a trained tax professional and will not be able to provide you with individual assistance when it comes to filing your own taxes. It is our hope, however, that the resources we provide will set you off in the right direction.

International students and scholars who earned taxable income in the previous year must file separate federal, state and local tax returns no later than that years’ stated IRS deadline, usually April 15.  Also, all international students, scholars and dependents must file Form 8843, regardless of income earned.  This includes minor children.

For the federal tax return, the type of form you file will depend on your residency status for tax purposes.  Your residency status may be different from your immigration status. See the chart below to determine your residency status for tax purposes.

Nonresidents for tax purposes will file Forms 1040NR (or 1040NR-EZ) and 8843.  Residents for tax purposes will file tax returns just like permanent residents and citizens of the U.S.


Immigration Status Date of Arrival in Pittsburgh Tax Status Forms to file
F or J student On or after January 1, 2013 Nonresident 1040NR (or 1040NR-EZ) and 8843
F or J student Before  January 1, 2013 Resident 1040
J scholar On or after January 1, 2016 Nonresident 1040NR (or 1040NR-EZ) and 8843
J scholar Before January 1, 2016 Resident 1040
Other international staff or faculty who are primary status-holders (H-1B, O-1) N/A Resident 1040
Students, faculty, or staff who are in dependent status (J-2, H-4, etc.) Follow the rules for your primary status-holder



All tax information provided by OIS is intended for international students and scholars of the University of Pittsburgh ONLY. The University of Pittsburgh makes no guarantee as to the accuracy of this information and shall not be held liable for use of any of the information provided. You should contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a tax professional if you require clarification or have any questions about filing your taxes.